Is there an area in your neighborhood that you would like to help keep clean? Why not "Adopt-A-Block" that could use some tender loving care (TLC)? Check out our map of already adopted blocks to see if your block is available! (If you'd like to adopt a park or stream, visit our Adopt Your District page to get connected to those programs.)
Residents, businesses, and the government all play a role in keeping DC clean, safe, and healthy. Only by involving all residents and each community can we create a District as beautiful as we know it can be. Success begins with one neighbor and one community deciding to make a difference. Anyone can participate: individuals, families, churches, businesses, schools and other groups and organizations.
To be a part of the Adopt A Block Program, a group:
- Adopts a minimum of two square blocks of a residential or commercial area.
- Agrees to conduct a quarterly clean-up day (though we encourage more frequent pickup).
- Report and request many available city services to 311.
- Maintains this agreement for two years.
- Record your cleanup results online
Adopting a block in the District of Columbia has many benefits:
- Improved quality of life in your neighborhood. The appearance of our community contributes to the quality of life we all share.
- Signs with your group's name letting people know you are committed to making a difference.
- Meet your neighbors, strengthen your community connections, and build leadership skills. Become a role model to youth.
- Litter-free, more active communities help discourage rodents and unwanted and illegal activity.
- Increased economic development. An attractive, clean community is a great asset in attracting new businesses, jobs, and customers.
The Office of the Clean City has the right to reject any application that is not suitable for the neighborhood or could result in a sign reflecting an organization name offensive to the community. NOTE: For residential areas, preference is given to residents living in the area proposed for adoption.
To apply, click here to complete the online Adopt a Block form. Questions? Call us at 202-442-8150.
Also see our Adopt A Block program FAQ.